Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Cycles

What is it like to be broken? Sad, angry, and hurt? Am I broken? Damaged? What do I want? Normality I suppose. Normality. Look where it has gotten me. I say that both with sarcasm and literalness. Look where it has gotten me.
Normality.
What we all strive to be. Normal. But wait, the latest trend is to stand out from the crowd, be different. But it seems that doing this has become such a common occurrence that being different is now the normal thing to do. Kind of an ironic contradiction, right? It's normal to be different. It's okay to be strange. It's acceptable to be a freak. Because it's cool. You are so cool you freak, weirdo, slut, abnormality, geek, mutant, oddity, monster. You did it. You're cool now.
It seems that originality has been sucked away. Being different has lost its preciousness and is now no longer special. Since people are trying so hard to stand out, they just end up being shaped into this mold of a person that is somehow considered to be cool. Slowly, they become normal. You're not different. You're just like everyone else. That's what you wanted, isn't it?
We're all broken in some way. But you shouldn't try to be broken. That's unnatural. That's freaky, weird, psychotic, and abnormal. Trying to break yourself so other broken people will allow you to join their effed-up club of broken miscreants. Congratulations, you are part of the "it" crowd. You just had to break yourself, your uniqueness, and your identity to do so. To become one of the masses. To conform to normality.
What's it like to be cool? What's it like, to be broken...?

Happy Wednesday.

8 comments:

  1. This is so true! It also makes you think, which I really like. Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just say I love this more than anything?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I just say I love this more than anything?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too true. I love that you said we're all broken in some way. I think people tend to forget that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful.
    Like flowers, and people...

    Adding to list.

    of good blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha ha. Happy Wednesday.

    Not a lot of blogs make me think. I don't know if that's an insult to the bloggers or to myself. But anyway.

    I've thought about this a lot and you articulated how I feel. I don't have any answers either, mostly just questions. I'm with you.

    Of course the easy answer is: just be yourself. But what the H does that mean?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is this talking about hipster? Honestly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm jumping on the "I think this is awesome" train. I like how you brought up that being original is becoming generic. Looking down the halls and actually seeing it; its unnerving.

    ReplyDelete