Sunday, March 18, 2012

Whoa. That's a Good Poem...Feeling Jelly.

Stop. Read this poem. The Road Not Taken
It's also the first freaking poem in the Bracket Book. Now I promise you, I didn't pick this poem because it was the first one and I was too lazy to read any others. I actually read about a third of the poems. I just happened to like this poem with an exceptional amount.

Now then, let's get to honesty.

When I first read this poem...I thought it sucked.


I thought this was the dreaded boring poetry from an "old, dead, white guy" that was just some superficial bull poopie.

Then I read it one more time.
With FEELING my friends.

The Road Not Taken.


I suppose I need to be in the mood for poetry to truly enjoy it. The first time I read the poem I was in class and I was so brain-dead from school I couldn't even count to zero. The second time I read it I was at work and my mind was waaay to jittery from all the coffee I had right before that I couldn't stop counting to zero.

The third time, I was bored.
I was waiting for my friend outside his house (yup, stalking him) and he was taking forever so I pulled out my handy-dandy notebook and got too it.

I even read it out loud in a fancy accent.



After finishing this thought-provoking poem, I knew right away that this was going to be the Chosen One for the Jealousy prompt. Together we had a baby and it was called Whoa. That's a Good Poem. And so far he is growing up so fast and so far he is 278 words and so far he is 1,131 characters and so far he's still a little shy and won't tell you why he's jealous of his Daddy.

Come on sweetie, let's be honest.

"And sorry I could not travel both."

That's why I had a baby with Robert Frost.
He gets me man. Groovy man. Get me another coffee man. Babies all around...Man.

Okay, let's get honest. He speaks of decisions, of choices, and how we never know how the other one would have led us and how we are constantly being strangled with WHAT IF'S.

What if I took the other road. "Yet knowing how way leads on to way, I doubted if I should ever come back."

What happens, happened.
I doubt I'll go back and choose differently.

I'm scared of the unknown.
I'm scared of the other path.
"I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."


And that has made all the difference.


Robert Frost my darling, I'm jealous of you because you know how to make a poem that makes me think and that makes me relate and that makes me wish I could write like a fancy, old, dead, white guy.

Instead I just had a baby with you.



I'm still waiting for my child support check.



 Happy Sunday.

2 comments:

  1. I exhaled once. Quickly. Out of my mouth. (A very specific way of saying that I laughed out loud, sort of.)

    You had a baby with Robert Frost. What a remarkable way to illustrate your jealousy of a poem. I couldn't agree with you more. Babies all around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. "Together we had a baby and it was called Whoa."

    ReplyDelete